SUNDAY PICNIC AT RUSSELL PARISH
July 28, 2016
St. Mary’s Ukrainian Catholic Parish in Russell enjoyed a parish picnic on the grounds of the church after liturgy on Sunday June 25th.
Parish Priest, Fr. Mykhaylo Khomitskyy, surprised the young children with a jumbo slide that was quickly assembled for their enjoyment. Parishioners enjoyed a beautiful sunny afternoon with a bountiful picnic lunch with all the trimmings. It was a fine time to enjoy some fellowship with our parish family.
- Margie Derkach
An actual church for the Ukrainian Catholics in Russell was built rather recently in comparison with others throughout the province. The Ukrainian settlers came to the area as early as 1899, but their homes were the places where Liturgies were celebrated and Sacraments were administered by visiting clergy - beginning with a Fr. Constantine Zarsky. The first homes to accommodate services and faithful were those of the Bereza, Lapka and Hrebeniuk families. Finally a church was built in 1941 with the first Divine Liturgy being celebrated by Redemptorist Father Stefan Shawel. The present (second) church, designed by architect Victor Deneka, was built in the early 1960s and the first Divine Liturgy was celebrated 10 April 1966. [HAPPY 50th Russell !]
The official name of the parish community is that of the Dormition of the Most Holy Mother of God, but, of course, it is popularly referred to simply as St. Mary’s. The parish has been served by clergy from Rossburn for a number of years now.
If you are passing through Russell and would like to check out the Liturgy Schedule, call Fr. Mykhaylo at t. (1) 204-859-3025